Byelaws for Cosmetic Piercing, Acupuncture & Electrolysis issued by Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council.
Bylaws for the purposes of securing the cleanliness of premises registered under section 15 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 and fittings in those premises and of registered persons and persons assisting them and the cleansing and, so far as appropriate, sterilization of instruments, materials and equipment used in connection with the business of cosmetic piercing made by Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council in pursuance of Section 15(7) of the Act.
1. In these bylaws, unless the context otherwise requires:-
- "The Act" means the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982;
- "Client" means any person undergoing treatment;
- "Operator" means any person giving treatment;
- "Premises" means any premises registered under Part VIII of the Act;
- "Proprietor" means any person registered under Part VIII of the Act;
- "Treatment" means ant operation in effecting acupuncture, electrolysis or cosmetic piercing;
- "The Treatment Area" means any part of the premises where treatment is given to clients;
2. The Interpretation Act 1978 shall apply for the interpretation of these bylaws as it applies for the interpretation of an act of Parliment.
B. For the purpose of securing the cleanliness of premises and fittings in such premises a proprietor shall ensure that:-
- All internal walls, doors, windows, partitions, floors, floor coverings and ceilings are kept clean and in such good repair as to enable them to be cleaned effectively;
- The treatment area is used solely for giving treatment;
- The floor of the treatment area is provided with a smooth imperviouse surface;
- All waste materials and other litters arising from the treatment, are handled and disposed of as clinical waste in accordance with relevant legislation and guidance as advised by the local authority;
- All needles used in treatment are single-use and disposable, as far as is practicable, and are stored and disposed of as clinical waste in accordance with the relevant legislation and guidence as advised by the local authority;
- All furnature and fittings in the premises are kept clean and in such good repair as to enable them to ne cleaned effectivly;
- All tables, couches and seats used by clients in the treatment area. and any surface on which the iyems specified in C2 below are placed immediately prior to to treatment, have a smooth imperviouse surface which is disinfected immediately after use, and at the end of each working day;
- Where tables and couches are used, they are covered by a disposable paper sheet which is changed for each client;
- No eating, drinking or smoking is permitted in the treatment area and a notice or notices reading "No Smoking", "No Eating or Drinking" is prominently displayed there.
C. For the purpose securing the cleansing and so far as is appropriate, the sterilization of instruments, materials and equipment used in connection with the treatment:-
- An operator shall ensure that before use in connection with treatment, any gown, wrap ot other protective clothing, paper or other covering, towel, cloth or other such article used in the treatment:-
- Is clean and in good repair, and, so far as is appropriate, sterile;
- Has not previously been used in connection with any other client unless it consists of a material which can be and has been adequately cleaned and, so far as is appropriate, sterilized;
- An operator shall ensure that:-
- Any needle, metal instument, or other item of equipment, used in treatment for handling instuments and needles used in the treatment is in a sterile condition and kept sterile until it is used.
- A proprietor shall provide:-
- Adequate vacilities and equipment for the purpose of sterilization (unless pre-sterilized items are used) and of cleansing, as required in pursuance of these bylaws;
- Sufficient and safe gas points and/or electrical socket outlets to enable complience with these bylaws;
- An adequate constant supply of clean hot and cold water readily available at all times on the premises;
- Adequate storage for all items mentioned in bylaw C 1 and 2 above, so that those items are properly stored in a clean and suitable place so as to avoid, as far as possible, the risk of contamination.
D. For the purpose of securing the cleanliness of operators:-
- A proprietor shall ensure that:-
- A proprietor shall provide:-
- Suitable and sufficient washing facilities for the sole use of operators, including hot and cold water and sanitising soap, detergant or alchohol gel hand cleaner;
- Suitable and sufficient sanitary accommodation for operators.